Gluconolactone & Sodium Benzoate (GSB)
Alert: New Lower pricing on many different sizes.
Gluconodeltalactone and Sodium Benzoate is accepted by ECOCERT as a preservative in certified organic cosmetics.
A natural preservative that is a combination of a naturally occurring food additive glucono delta lactone, derived from corn, and a food grade preservative sodium benzoate, the sodium salt of benzoic acid, along with a trace amount of calcium gluconate as a processing agent. The perfect solution to those challenging emulsions that you have tried and tried to convert, from liquapar and germaben, to more natural preservatives only to have them separate a month later. Because it is provided in powder form it will not jeopardize stability like most of the other natural or alternative preservatives. The icing on the cake is being able to go back to adding your preservative to the water phase and simplify the cooling process...no more thinking that your emulsion was perfect when it cooled only to find that once you added the preservative it completely changed the texture and viscosity.
We recommend that you optimize (determine through interval testing the lowest effective dose) your preservative levels because all of the successful trials were done at use levels between 1.0% and 1.5%.
- white, free flowing powder
- mild odor, characteristic
- water soluble
- store tightly sealed, normal temperatures, protected from moisture
- shelf 1 yr. when stored properly
- maintain finished pH 3.0 to 6.0
- NON-GMO Verified
- broad spectrum preservation
- globally approved (at 2.0% usage in formulation, only 0.495% sodium benzoate)
- compatible with anoins, cations and nonions
- added during production allowing for better control
- offered in powder form which will not challenge most emulsions
- GRAS (generally regarded as safe) composition
- proven moisturizer
- 0.75% to 2.0%
- add to a portion of the water phase which is then added to the batch
- ph efficacy over range of 3 to 6
- lotions, creams
- bath and body cleansing gels
- hair care products
- not for use in anhydrous formula (due to incompatibility)
- not for use in products which contain ascorbic acid (due to undesirable chemical reaction as a result of the destabilization and oxidation of the ascorbic acid which may convert the sodium benzoate to its acidic state (benzoic acid)
- not for use in products which contain food colors (due to undesirable chemical reaction which may convert the sodium benzoate to its acidic state (benzoic acid)
- always add to cold water, prior to heating
- once added, to water, do not wait before mixing as this may result in a slight gelling effect which will prevent full solubilization and result in cloudiness
INCI: Gluconodeltalactone (and) Sodium Benzoate